Myofascial Release





Myofascial release (MFR) is a safe, gentle and very effective hands-on treatment for chronic pain, injuries and lack of mobility. It is performed directly on the skin, without oil and involves applying gentle, sustained pressure into the body’s fascial system.

Fascia is continuous web of connective tissue which runs throughout the body and surrounds and penetrates every muscle, bone, nerve, blood vessel and all our internal organs. In its normal healthy state, fascia has the ability to stretch and move without restriction, supporting and cushioning the body. However, physical trauma, surgery, poor posture, repetitive stress injuries or emotional trauma can cause the fascia to lose its pliability. It becomes tight, restricted and a source of tension to the whole body, causing pain and restricted mobility. Fascial restrictions can make your body feel like it is in a straightjacket.  Unfortunately, fascial restrictions cannot be detected by X-rays, CAT scans or MRI so the issue is often not identified.

Traditional techniques treat the symptoms caused by the “straightjacket” but do not deal with the “straightjacket” itself. Because the fascia is a continuous web of tissue throughout the body, Myofascial release works on the whole body, rather than focusing on the pain symptom. A therapist applies gentle sustained pressure to the body to engage a barrier of fascial restriction and then waits for the restriction to release. 

It is important to engage the fascia for at least 3 minutes for a lasting release to occur. Fascia is made up of 20% elastin, which will release in 90-120 seconds providing short term relief; however the other 80% is collagen which takes 3-7 minutes to release. Myofascial release allows time for the collagen to relax which is why it can produce such good long-term results. 

Clients often come for treatment having tried everything else without success. Here is the view of one such client:

“I have spent much of the last 17 or 18 years suffering from intermittent back agonies and muscle spasms resulting from damage to my back muscles when I was in my late teens. I have tried a variety of remedies, but they never seemed to help much. And then I met Lisa. And thank God I did. After just one session, the difference was incredible and I actually enjoyed 13 pain-free days in a row for the first time in months. I've now had about 5 treatments from Lisa and I cannot believe the difference. I get virtually no problems with my shoulders or back now, I can sleep far better at night and the pins and needles I routinely experienced in my hands and fingers has completely gone."